What does Youth With A Mission Believe?
YWAM Statement of Faith
Youth With A Mission (YWAM) is a global movement of Christians from many denominations dedicated to presenting Jesus personally to this generation, to mobilizing as many as possible to help in this task, and to the training and equipping of believers for their part in fulfilling the Great Commission. As citizens of God’s kingdom, we are called to love, worship, and obey our Lord, to love and serve His Body, the Church, and to present the whole gospel for the whole person throughout the whole world. We of Youth With A Mission believe that the Bible is God’s inspired and authoritative word, revealing that Jesus Christ is God’s son; that people are created in God’s image; that He created us to have eternal life through Jesus Christ; that although all people have sinned and come short of God’s glory, God has made salvation possible through the death on the cross and resurrection of Jesus Christ; that repentance, faith, love and obedience are fitting responses to God’s initiative of grace towards us; that God desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth; and that the Holy Spirit’s power is demonstrated in and through us for the accomplishment of Christ’s last commandment, “Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation” (Mark 16:15).
YWAM Foundational Values
Youth With A Mission (YWAM) affirms the Bible as the authoritative Word of God and, with the Holy Spirit’s inspiration, the absolute reference point for every aspect of life and ministry. Based upon God’s Word, who He is, and His initiative of salvation, the following responses are strongly emphasized in YWAM:
- Worship: We are called to praise and worship God alone.
- Holiness: We are called to lead holy and righteous lives that exemplify the nature and character of God.
- Witness: We are called to share the gospel of Jesus Christ with those who do not know Him.
- Prayer: We are called to engage in intercessory prayer for the people and causes on God’s heart, including standing against evil in every form.
- Fellowship: We are called to commit to the Church in both its local nurturing expression and its mobile multiplying expression.
The eighteen Foundational Values of Youth With A Mission are the expression of our basic beliefs coupled with specific directives given by God since YWAM’s beginning in 1960. They are recorded here in order to pass on to successive generations that which God has emphasized to us.
These shared beliefs and values are the guiding principles for both the past and future growth of our mission. Some are common to all Christians everywhere; others are distinctive to Youth With A Mission.
The combination of these beliefs and values make up the unique family characteristics of YWAM—our “DNA.” They are values we hold in high regard which determine who we are, how we live and how we make decisions.
1. Know God
2. Make God known
3. Hear God’s voice
4. Practice worship and intercessory prayer
5. Be visionary
6. Champion young people
7. Be broad-structured and decentralized
8. Be international and interdenominational
9. Have a biblical worldview
10. Function in teams
11. Exhibit servant leadership
12. Do first, then teach
13. Be relationship-oriented
14. Value the individual
15. Value families
16. Practice dependence on God for finances
17. Practice hospitality
18. Communicate with integrity
For more details, and explanations of each of each of the 18 Foundational Values, please click here.